The Coast of the Setting Sun - Polysaurus - - Facing Maha

Facing Maha

Pro Helvetia Art Residency Award 2020. Layla Gonaduwa sets up studio residency practice on the move, for the coming 3 months. The Art that comes forth will be from this foundation and her collective repository on the run, of images, drawings, writings, thoughts and stories on flora & fauna, memory and human interest stories on Migration that can be worked together. As daunting and exciting as the Maha Monsoon looming ahead.

1 Oct 2020

The Coast of the Setting Sun - Polysaurus -

Beach Sculpture 



Lovers

Picnic on the Beach

First Aid Station 
Screwdriver at Sunset?

To Freshen Up

Chasers for your Poison

A Child Friendly Beach 

When a Rock Will Simply Not Do

Salon Facilities

Kandinsky Painting

Going about my business

Exotic Cuisine 



Would have received a free coffee, had I picked a sizeable quantity of glass and plastic, on my return.
This seems to be the policy of a few places of stay, dotted on the wild coast.
But the few are shut down. Quiet. 
And daily I encounter vast strewn heaps the tide has brought in.
I pick up, and on the long walk back wading through the shallow lagoon, glance around; it seems so futile and hopeless.
You need entire villages to clean up this growing and breeding Polysaurus, mainly floating from India.

On such a walk at dawn, I do not realize crossing some sort of marker posts, on the empty beach in the direction of Mannar.
My eyes are on the far away dot of land, and a man in a bright T shirt appears from nowhere in front of my path.
He has a dog. I have a dog.
His dog looks menacingly at me, but cannot resist Quenella.
There is room for play and I brighten up considerably at the thought of a chat.

This is how I meet Suresh, who thinks I am foolish or another smuggler on a fact finding mission on this Coast of Many Foreign Trade.

---------'------
To be continued...


No comments:

Post a Comment